Saturday, January 11, 2014

Successful Traveling Tips!

Preview this email in your browser.
Bay Area Professional Organizer
"De-Clutter to De-Stress!"    Get Organized with Kiera Rain
Traveling---the cause of the True Packrat Syndrome

Ever brought with you several pieces of luggage on a short trip? Ever put your foot on the bag so you could try to squeeze the zipper shut over the crammed-full bodice? Are you guilty of taking all of the shampoos, conditioners, lotions and body washers from every hotel room you stay at?

Below are some Traveling Tips to help you have a successfully organized trip!

I just returned from a 9 day trip in Ireland. It was amazing to be there--I could easily move there if I didn't love California and the Bay so much! The friendlist people, the hearty breakfasts and rich-tasting foods, the amazing coast lines and countryside, the spectacular mirror lake views, sheep in the roads, castles everywhere to tour, Hawk Walks, Torc Waterfall, the last port Titanic Sailed from, and soooo much more! I did SO much, I'm exhausted! First day home, and I have refused to leave my bed! And o--Nothing has felt more luxurious than MY bed! lol Cheers, Ireland! I had a wonderful Birthday and what a great way to bring in the New Year! Thank you, Ireland, for the lifetime memories!

Where are you off to in 2014?

Happy Travels!
Kiera Rain
Bay Area Professional Organizer

My favorite Traveling Quote:
“Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.”  – Robert Frost
Separate Clothes Into Like-Piles so you can see you aren't taking too many of one item.
Take Only What You Truly Need
Separate out your clothes into piles on your bed before you pack them into your suitcase: Socks, Underwear, Pants, Tops, Sleepware. Take only what you need for the length of your trip and a couple of extras--don't pack 14 tops for a 7 day trip, pack 10 max instead. Extras are good in case you need to change, want to change or have an extended trip. But don't go overboard on the extras.

Choose a couple pairs of shoes that can go with most anything instead of bringing several pairs. I also recommend packing slippers or thick socks for hotel floors!

Did you know--they just increased the rate of additional bags. You get one checked bag, one carry on, and one small personal item like a purse or briefcase included. But one more checked-in bag would have cost me an additional $100 (even a small, light weight bag--didn't matter) for my overseas trip, that's $200 for both ways. Less Saves You More!
Pack Your Bags Systematically
Now that you have all of your clothes neatly folded and grouped together, you can easily organize your bags for easy access while you're traveling and getting dressed each day.

For example: put all your pants and skirts and pj bottoms in one bag, or on the left side, and all the tops on the right side, or in your other bag. If you are worried about bags getting lost/held up on arrival, pack a complete set of clothing in each bag.

Pack your Hygiene Care products all together in one compartment/area of your bag. Put them in a clear zipper pouch for easy to find, keep-clean, no leakage packing.
Yes--I help clients pack their bags, too!
How to Roll Your Clothes
Less Folds--More Room!
Roll or Lay Flat Your Clothes. It will save you space, and also still prevent wrinkling if you do it properly. Folding two or more shirts together is another trick. The less folds, the less bulky an item is going to look.
Don't Forget About Dirty Clothes on Your Return Trip!
Here's what I did: I packed a couple of garbage bags in my suitcase. As I went along my travels, I filled the garbage bag with my soiled clothes. I just kept toting the easy to carry garbage bag with me to each hotel room as I traveled the West and South Coasts of Ireland. I kept my shoes in another garbage bag. At the end of my trip, I transfered all remaining clean clothes into one bag, and stuffed my dirty clothes (still in the garbage bag) into my now vacant second travel bag. One Clean Clothes Bag. One Dirty Clothes Travel Bag. I put my shoes in the Dirty Clothes Bag. This also helped me for when I got home and could easily put everything into the wash without soiling my clean clothes or even mucking up my travel bag with the garbage bag barrier protecting my luggage case.
Pile of Dirty Clothes
Kiera Rain at Blarney Castle, Ireland
Take Pictures Instead of Souvenir Hoarding
Take lots of photos of your experiences instead of buying random trinkets and souvenirs made in China. Instead of buying into marketing that adds to your clutter, collect memories captured on photo keepsakes. When you get home, and as you travel, download them onto your computer. When you get home, organize your photos--delete the bad ones and label folders to keep you straight on where you went and when. Don't procrastinate. Do it when you get home.
Unpack As SOON As You Get Home--Don't Procrastinate!
If you procrastinate, you'll only continue to procrastinate. Get the dirty job done immediately so it's off your plate, you are truly settled back in at home, and you can finally just RELAX afterwards without guilt creeping in and stepping over unpacked luggage.

1) Put the Laundry in the Wash
2) Hang Up and Put Away All Remaining Clean Clothes
3) Unpack Hygiene Supplies
4) Download Pics on Computer--Delete Bad Ones, Sort into Folders with Labels and Dates of where you went

It doesn't take that long--took me 30 minutes.
Joke
Book Your Organizing Sessions Now!
Be FINALLY FREE of Clutter for 2014! "De-Clutter to De-Stress!" with Kiera Rain, Bay Area Professional Organizer.

Organizing Process
FAQ And Pricing
Schedule a Session

Call Kiera Rain on her cell at 415-786-8266 for a Free Phone Consultation! You can also reply to this email.

Bay Area Professional Organizer for Homes,
Offices and Businesses since 2003!

Serving the Entire San Francisco Bay Area. No Travel Fees!

925-290-RAIN
info@TheBayOrganizer.com
http://www.BayAreaProfessionalOrganizer.com